Skip to main content

Easy Way to the Top


‘The winner of this year’s ‘Star Quality’ is…….. Janice Hopkins’

Janice could not believe it, she had actually won.

Pop, bang, clapping, the other contestants screaming, it was chaos. The big man himself

Mr Robert Lorenzo came over to congratulate, standing and posing with the camera’s

flashing.

‘How do you feel?’ asked Mitzy as she squealed like a pig in the microphone. Her big bosoms

were clearly visible from her top emerging like a ship from the sea. The camera’s were at a

close up inspection not obviously of her face which had make up smeared on layered as a

cake.

  Janice thought for a moment, one minute she had been busking on the streets of London

and now she was a winner one of the biggest reality shows on television.

   She could see Mitzy blinking faster, and faster waiting impatiently for the answer, so she

blurted out the cliche ‘it’s amazing I can’t believe that I would be winning the show’.

  Mr Lorenzo stood posing for photographs and took the microphone from Mitzy, she looked

like a poodle facing a lion ‘I knew Janice has the talent, after all I was the one who mentored

her and look where she is now.’ He flashed his white teeth which glistened like diamonds

and flicked his greasy hair in front of the camera’s.

‘ ‘We are now off the air’ shouted someone from the sidelines.

‘Gosh I am shattered, I need a tequila and a cigarette, where are my cigarettes? Damn

CIGARETTES’ shouted Mitzy. She twoddled off the stage in her high heels, whilst saying


‘Lorenzo…’ winking at him and then going off the stage.

  Lorenzo took a small mobile phone out his pocket and dialled ‘I am ready, come and get me

out of here, another year done and dusted. Time for next year’, as he whispered to the mobile as

though he was a snake charmer.  ‘Stupid Bitch that Mitzy, should have sacked her, those damn

newspapers getting news of her addiction’. ‘Well kid enjoy it while you can’ he said as he looked

at the door rather than directly at Janice. He slithered his way across to it and disappeared like a

magician into the darkness.

    Janice stood in shock, whilst all of the other contestants started to drink and dance around

the stage, flapping their bodies around and shouting loudly ‘Janice, Janice’.

       In front of her stood Sunrise the lucrative television studio building:  tall, lean and grey in

stature. Lights in bold and dominating like a queen sitting on a throne.

She had seen their show in the mornings but never imagined being invited to talk on the show.

She sat timidly in the make up studio, whilst she had her face altered by the artist and

could her the microphone on in the other studio.

‘What’s this girls name? Janice, another one off that show, I tell you Lorenzo is the only one who

is getting richer from this show’.

‘Yeah, another talent, what talent? No one will remember her. I mean who won last year?’

‘Wasn’t it Patrick that guy, who had the sob story of his mum dying of cancer?’

‘They all have a sob story… Damn the microphone is still on…’

  Janice was ushered onto the couch, wearing Calvin Klein jeans and a Gap t-shirt she

had to return after the interview. She had makeup and her hair in a bun, which she never

wore it in.

‘3, 2, 1 on Air’.

‘Good Morning to Sunrise, today I have the winner of Star Quality Janet’

Janice sat there and was unable to correct Samantha Hayward, the presenter.

‘Welcome to the show...OH I have been told it's Janice…. Thanks Janice. How do you feel?’

Janice sat looking at the camera’s all posed and alert like meerkats staring at her direction.

All she could think of saying was the same cliche response ‘‘It’s amazing I can’t believe that I

have won’.

‘Well that's great babe, really congrats, now moving onto the main news of today’.

 As quick as Janice had been put onto the couch she was whisked off and the clothes and

make-up were taken away like she had been burgled.

  ‘Here is your record….Big Beginnings’ Lorenzo handed it to her with gloves.

She had wanted it to be called ‘Butterfly Wings’, but Mr Lorenzo made all the decisions.

‘Good luck Janice, I am sure you will do well on this album. You are aware of all the paperwork

you signed at the beginning of the show entering it, good good’, not actually looking at her

faceless expression. ‘I have to go Janice, time is money’ as he snorted into the air.

  ‘You do realise honey, that you won’t get a penny from the album’ whined Mitzy

staggering into music room with a cigarette in her hand. ‘Cough cough, Lorenzo gets

one hundred percent, well he used to get me if you know what I mean, but now he

treats me like I don’t exist’ she slurred as she fell over into the floor sniffling with her mascara

running.

‘The number one album of this year is Big Beginnings congratulations to the Label Opal

which is run by none other than the business tycoon Mr Robert Lorenzo.’ Janice read

the newspaper heading a couple of times. Mitzy had been right, she did get no money from

the album. No one recognised her in the streets after a couple of months went by. There was

no telephone calls from producers or anyone interested in contacting her once her album

had been released. She had tried to contact Mr Lorenzo on his personal mobile number

but received the message ‘this number is no longer in use and has been disconnected’.

  Janice had tears in her eyes, they were flowing down the cheeks, her friends had

unfriended from Facebook and WhatsAPP after her success.

But she wasn’t wealthy or popular, she was alone in her room with the newspaper and seeing

Mr Lorenzo on television smiling and auditioning for the next installment of Star Quality. Like her

they too would be used, churned out to make money for Mr Lorenzo and his record label Opal.

She would be forgotten a star from yesterday abandoned and no longer shining.
 



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letters of the Past

The letters in his hand were crisp, clean, and pure white and had the age of youth while Sebastian's hands were wrinkled, old and worn out. He smelt the perfume of the letters which were like flowers in the room showing down onto him. He rocked slowly as he held them and whispered 'Lillian' while Beatrice didn't budge and had gone to sleep purring away in his lap.  As the light glistened in the fireplace the colours were reflecting onto the walls of the living room like colours of the rainbow as he thought of Lillian and the past. It was at university where he had met her first, he was himself lost in the corridors, with his shirt half tucked into his trousers, tie askew and hair rough and looking at the board trying to find his class. He heard her voice, 'excuse me' and turned towards her. It was her golden hair that struck him. It shone in the corridor like a gem and it was long. She looked as though she were a mermaid emerging from the sea. He could feel

Miranda

OUT NOW Dione the new virtual reality system. The huge billboard poster flickered with the only advert holographic projection . The streets were dark, but the advert illuminated like a candle making it the centre of attraction as though it was the essence of existence, but for the majority it had become. ‘Wow that looks amazing, I have to get it, it’s better than the Miranda system which came out last year’. Said my brother walking with me down the street, drawn to it like a mosquito to the light. He was addicted about getting a new headset every year. He was actually putting the Miranda system on as we spoke, going to the Prehistoric age, immersing himself in another world. Everyone was wearing one, but I didn’t.   This was my world, the future, a world of virtual reality. Headsets in every home, laying on the coffee table instead of books which were no longer existing. No one read anymore. They were a way of escaping the actual reality of the wo

The final grip

https://www.creativewritingink.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/daniel-jensen-354568-unsplash.jpg He tried to push me off the edge of the cliff, that's what he tried to do..... I am trying the grip it tightly, holding the boundary of the face of the rock face. The gravel from the cliff face, small pieces but sharp scrape by like daggers hitting the side of my face. I can feel the grass ahead of me which is mould and worn as my hands dig into it as I try to surface the face of the precipice. I hang like a bat as I can hear the water beneath me slashing away as I clutch onto dear life, as my head spins looking at the sheer drop below me. I catch onto the grass but it tears beneath my hands like hairs as I am desperate to survive. I had no idea that it was coming, he took me to the beach, it was a beautiful summer days and we were walking along hand by hand. The clouds above were darkening as the sky changed colour beyond as he walked to the edge of the cliff then simply pushed