Skip to main content

Patrick vs David




‘I can see the water underneath me. Whoops, ha ha, Patrick you are useless,’ said

David.

‘Shut up! David, leave me alone,’ said Patrick, ‘stop talking, it is a continuous

buzzing,’ he screams internally within himself.

   David was always there, like a wasp stinging into his brain, the constant ‘chatter’ was

there. He wanted to switch it off but he could not.

‘Have you tried mindfulness?’ asked Professor Lofney, with his glasses that he wore at

end the of his long nose that looked like a twig. He crossed his legs and sat in the chair.

He looked like a regal King and had a touch of superiority with his tone that was

pretentious. Patrick winced at the word mindfulness, he had tried that but it never

Worked. It was the new craze that applied around a method to sit down, breathe,

concentrate on the here and now.

   David would not let him sit still, he would regularly interrupt him take him away from

the moment. David was mischievous like a naughty child, distracting and making Patrick

feel afraid that something bad was going to happen.  Patrick could not still and the

mindfulness apps like ‘Headspace’ and ‘Insight timer’ did not work for him. He was

frustrated with being told to apply different methods which did not work on settling

David down. David didn’t care about that, he wanted to play, divert attention towards

the darkness:  fear, death and anxiety. Patrick as a result would feel sweaty, his heart

racing, pounding in his chest like a beating drum. Sleep was unable to come and

Patrick would lie away as David would colour his attention like a blackness of thick fog

which engulfed him as though it was a snake eating him.

‘Hmmm here are some more pills, take these instead’ said the Professor as he scribbled

away in his pad, admiring it as though it was a lover.

Pills thought Patrick, that’s all he was given, medication that he didn’t want nor did it

help David to settle down.

  Patrick left the Professor’s office and threw the pills in the wastebasket, the corridor

was white, no colours or distractions just a blandness. Patrick would meet the Professor

every week, but Patrick never felt better, as David could not be controlled.

    It was the same time this week, that he would have to meet the Professor. The

professor made Patrick feel the same, that David was never going to go away. The

Professor enjoyed David, as he made him feel important, that the Professor had a

‘special case’. Patrick had seen his reports by mistake. It was written ‘special case

Patrick’ in big red letters.

David had been there as usual all week, Patrick has felt agitated, difficulty in

concentrating and withdrew at work.

‘Hello Patrick’ she said. It wasn’t Professor Lofny. My name is Susan. Patrick looked at

her, she didn’t wear a white coat or had a notepad. But was wearing jeans and sat with

her legs crossed wearing trainers.

‘I can see how you look bothered, your face looks worn out and tired’ she said.

Patrick felt that was true, he hadn’t been sleeping for days, as David kept him awake.

‘What is troubling you?’ she said. Patrick didn’t understand, hadn’t she looked at his

notes he thought.

‘My notes….…’ stammered Patrick.

‘Oh those… I chucked them in the bin’. Your Professor if you may know was called

Chunk. Chunk, was his real name. Patrick could hear David inside him laughing.

‘So I am here for you if you want to share, or if you don’t then that is OK. Oh yes and you

don’t need to call me Professor’ she said smiling.

She was grinning the Professor never looked happy, only when he was writing with his

pen into the pad.

‘I…. feel….. worried all the time, flustered… and nauseous…’

‘I must be difficult to cope with’

‘Yes it is….David distracts me all the time….. He blurted out. Damn it, he thought he

had said the name accidently.

‘Who is David?’

Patrick didn’t say anything, he just sat there in shock. David laughed inside so loud, he

could hear him.

‘That’s right your palms feel sweaty now, she thinks you are loony’ said David inside his

mind.

‘What do you mean David, it’s only me and you in the room Susan’.

‘Patrick… be honest as least with yourself, I know that you can hear David inside your

head, but he isn’t real Patrick, he died along time ago do you remember?’

Patrick sat there and could hear David laughing inside his head ‘STOP LAUGHING’

he screamed.

‘It was an accident Patrick, David slipped and fell off the bridge, you tried to save him.’

Patrick could see David’s body like a sack of potatoes floating on the river Thames,

there had been flashes of blue light, people screaming and Patrick had tried to grab

his hand but couldn’t reach it in time. David had been messing around on the Millennium

Bridge he was only eleven years old, he wasn’t thinking about what he was doing.

‘Let the guilt go, you are now thirty years old, its the past and David has gone, let him

go. Why do you keep blaming yourself for his death’?


‘He was my best friend, my only friend.’ Patrick started to cry. ‘He had so much in

common with me. We grew up together. He was always there for me. He still is.’

Patrick wiped his tears away ‘I didn’t man to let go off his hand I was trying to save him’.

‘I know Patrick, I know you did try but it wasn’t your fault. This is the first step you have

made towards the road to recovery’.

Patrick walked out of the room rubbing his eyes, he could no longer hear David inside

his head, he felt the loss and grief of his friend going from his life, he was now truly

alone but onto mending from the trauma that he had kept hidden from everyone for so

many years.









   





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letters of the Past

The letters in his hand were crisp, clean, and pure white and had the age of youth while Sebastian's hands were wrinkled, old and worn out. He smelt the perfume of the letters which were like flowers in the room showing down onto him. He rocked slowly as he held them and whispered 'Lillian' while Beatrice didn't budge and had gone to sleep purring away in his lap.  As the light glistened in the fireplace the colours were reflecting onto the walls of the living room like colours of the rainbow as he thought of Lillian and the past. It was at university where he had met her first, he was himself lost in the corridors, with his shirt half tucked into his trousers, tie askew and hair rough and looking at the board trying to find his class. He heard her voice, 'excuse me' and turned towards her. It was her golden hair that struck him. It shone in the corridor like a gem and it was long. She looked as though she were a mermaid emerging from the sea. He could feel

Miranda

OUT NOW Dione the new virtual reality system. The huge billboard poster flickered with the only advert holographic projection . The streets were dark, but the advert illuminated like a candle making it the centre of attraction as though it was the essence of existence, but for the majority it had become. ‘Wow that looks amazing, I have to get it, it’s better than the Miranda system which came out last year’. Said my brother walking with me down the street, drawn to it like a mosquito to the light. He was addicted about getting a new headset every year. He was actually putting the Miranda system on as we spoke, going to the Prehistoric age, immersing himself in another world. Everyone was wearing one, but I didn’t.   This was my world, the future, a world of virtual reality. Headsets in every home, laying on the coffee table instead of books which were no longer existing. No one read anymore. They were a way of escaping the actual reality of the wo

The final grip

https://www.creativewritingink.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/daniel-jensen-354568-unsplash.jpg He tried to push me off the edge of the cliff, that's what he tried to do..... I am trying the grip it tightly, holding the boundary of the face of the rock face. The gravel from the cliff face, small pieces but sharp scrape by like daggers hitting the side of my face. I can feel the grass ahead of me which is mould and worn as my hands dig into it as I try to surface the face of the precipice. I hang like a bat as I can hear the water beneath me slashing away as I clutch onto dear life, as my head spins looking at the sheer drop below me. I catch onto the grass but it tears beneath my hands like hairs as I am desperate to survive. I had no idea that it was coming, he took me to the beach, it was a beautiful summer days and we were walking along hand by hand. The clouds above were darkening as the sky changed colour beyond as he walked to the edge of the cliff then simply pushed