Skip to main content

walking through the forest

Squelch squelch as my shoes rubbed against the leaves on the ground as I zig zagged
disorientated through the forest. I was never good at directions or navigating. I had engrossed myself with tracing a leaf onto a paper which I had now gone astray.
It was the request of our teacher Mr Bailey to collect things from the forest so I had decided to get a leaf printed onto paper. I was never much of a naturist hardly Bear Grylls and the thought of collecting either tadpoles or insects brought a chill down me.

I had no idea where I was, all the trees were green and tall, facing upwards shielding
me from the outside world. I could feel the sweat trickling down my back
sticking to my school shirt, it was dirty with mud and green stains. I had slipped and grazed my arm which was red, had a sore throat from shouting ‘help’ several times and ripped
my trousers with a hole. There was no one to hear me or see me in the forest
but the trees, birds and insects. I just kept on going forwards I had no idea where to go, my chest was beating hard against my skin, my breath heavy. I had only my own thoughts of company surely someone would know I had not returned I thought.

On reflection on that I was the unpopular kid, the one who stood out, I wore
glasses for one thing and had braces, plus I was smart and contrary to the
Big Bang Theory show it still wasn’t cool to be clever. I didn’t have a girlfriend either,
but girls were not what I preferred, though I kept that secret.  I always felt lost , now I had
literally gone off track into the forest.

I didn’t know which way to go or to find myself through the wilderness,
the sun was beating through the trees onto my head. I felt light headed, the water that was in my rucksack was nearly finished as I sipped the last remains of it into my dry mouth. I shouted ‘help’ again as one last desperation cry as my voice echoed into the surrounds beating off the trees and water disappearing into the distance. I felt warmness of water against my cheeks as the tears rolled down from my eyes, and wiped the snot from my nose as it dribbled down my face. I thought of my mum at home and Mr Bailey informing her that her son had disappeared and her wailing at the prospects of her only son not being able to give her grandchildren in the future. I had meant to tell her about my sexuality but I was Asian and that information could hardly be blurted out over tea and samosa. But I knew that I had to tell her the truth.

The sun was starting to go down it was going to be dark soon
and my Iphone battery was only up to around ten percent I had tried to ring it but it had no credit on it.
As I sat down onto the wet log which soaked into my underwear. I could hear a
voice in the distance cry out ‘Asleen’ ‘Asleen’ thank god I thought it was Mr Bailey’s voice in the distance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letters of the Past

The letters in his hand were crisp, clean, and pure white and had the age of youth while Sebastian's hands were wrinkled, old and worn out. He smelt the perfume of the letters which were like flowers in the room showing down onto him. He rocked slowly as he held them and whispered 'Lillian' while Beatrice didn't budge and had gone to sleep purring away in his lap.  As the light glistened in the fireplace the colours were reflecting onto the walls of the living room like colours of the rainbow as he thought of Lillian and the past. It was at university where he had met her first, he was himself lost in the corridors, with his shirt half tucked into his trousers, tie askew and hair rough and looking at the board trying to find his class. He heard her voice, 'excuse me' and turned towards her. It was her golden hair that struck him. It shone in the corridor like a gem and it was long. She looked as though she were a mermaid emerging from the sea. He could feel

The final grip

https://www.creativewritingink.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/daniel-jensen-354568-unsplash.jpg He tried to push me off the edge of the cliff, that's what he tried to do..... I am trying the grip it tightly, holding the boundary of the face of the rock face. The gravel from the cliff face, small pieces but sharp scrape by like daggers hitting the side of my face. I can feel the grass ahead of me which is mould and worn as my hands dig into it as I try to surface the face of the precipice. I hang like a bat as I can hear the water beneath me slashing away as I clutch onto dear life, as my head spins looking at the sheer drop below me. I catch onto the grass but it tears beneath my hands like hairs as I am desperate to survive. I had no idea that it was coming, he took me to the beach, it was a beautiful summer days and we were walking along hand by hand. The clouds above were darkening as the sky changed colour beyond as he walked to the edge of the cliff then simply pushed

Private Property- No Trespassing

'Damn.... Where are we?' 'I thought you were looking at your map?' 'I was...But I can't work out where we are'. 'I was supposed to be home hours ago Jake, my parents will be worried' 'Michelle, calm down...now let me see'..... Jake and Michelle had decided to take the long way around after their date at the usual diner 'Kate's Burger Joint' where Jake had the king size burger with cheese and Michelle had the same thing as always nuggets with chips. They had only been dating for about six months, when Jake recommended he take Michelle through the woods to drop her home. 'Look it says Private Property up there. We are going to get in trouble Jake'. 'Don't be such a baby Michelle, lets go and have a look further down and see what there is'. 'But Jake, the sign, what if we get told off?' 'Michelle' he said as he grabbed her hand, they lumbered their way through the tall grass an