Skip to main content

Resurrection

Resurrection

Her eyes were slowly opening, there was a blurry vision ahead, like when you take your glasses off and can’t make out objects. They become slowly into vision and she could see a man with a white coat in front of her.
She was in a white room; it was immaculately clean and there was equipment around such as monitoring machine, blood pressure and temperature apparatus. She was laying on a hospital bed. She felt that the equipment looked unused and clean and was placed around the room which seemed strange.
‘Hello Ms Thomson’ he said.
‘What’s happened?’ she said.
A man was standing in front of her, he had blue eyes and brown hair and his skin was glowing and his stature tall. She felt her cheeks blush as he was very good looking.
‘Why am I in hospital? What’s happened to me?’ She said.
He handed her a form with her signature on. ‘Do you remember filling this form that was in a packet of Chocolate Krispies Cereal?’ he said.
She looked at the form and thought for a moment and remembered, it had been on a television advert, the chance for a random person to be chosen to get their body frozen if they had died. She had filled it out on a whim and didn’t think much about it. She felt it was odd that he was referring to it.

She moved her feet around to see what had happened to her but she didn’t feel that any thing had been broken and couldn’t see any scars on her arms. There was no mirror in the room for her to check what she looked like.
‘Why are you asking that question?’ She said.
‘You were one of the chosen’ he said.
‘What do you mean?’ She said.
‘I have resurrected you from death, your body was frozen’ he said.
She looked straight into his eyes, he didn’t blink for ages and she thought he has to be joking, someone is going to come out and tell her that a joke had been played on her. But no one came.
‘Ms Thomson, you died on Friday 21st November 2021 and your body was frozen it is
called Cryogenics. As part of the agreement of the form you now have been resurrected’
he said.

She just couldn’t understand it, he was telling her that she had died and was now alive from being dead. It didn’t make any sense to her. She felt that he didn’t speak with any emotion and was blunt in his answers to her.
‘So you are telling me that I died, how did I die?’ She said.
‘From the records we have you died in your sleep, your heart just stopped’ he said.
She felt shock and sick, she had died just like that without warning and never remembered any of it. It seemed such a waste to die like that. It didn't seem real to her. She felt confused and it didn't seem possible how could she be alive from dying.
‘Resurrection from the dead, that can’t be possible’ she said.
‘yes you are right resurrection wasn't possible in your time, the form you filled out was
filled away, but still valid as an agreement and therefore I have brought you back’ he
said.
 ‘What do you mean when you say in your time? she said.
‘Ms Thompson I don’t want to you to overdo it today’ he said. She saw him take a long instrument out, which looked like a pen and it was metal. She started to feel sleepy.

She turned over and pulled herself up from the bed, the room was empty and the hadn't been moved. She didn't feel that anyone had checked on her during the night and she hadn't seen any of the rest of the staff. She tried to get out of bed but
her legs felt really weak and she couldn't get up. She didn't have any personal belongings either like clothes or a mobile phone as there was no cupboards in this room. It felt odd.
She didn't even have a button to call anyone for assistance. But as soon as she got up she saw him come through the door.
‘Ms Thompson, I felt that you needed rest yesterday’ he said.
She looked at him and his eyes and then she noticed that his blinking seemed to be intermittent, she could feel any depth to his eyes they seemed empty. But he looked like a perfection of a man.
‘What did you mean then yesterday when you said in your time?’ she asked again.
‘resurrection wasn’t possible in your time in the 21st Century, but it is now’. Ms Thompson
what I mean is that you would call this time the future, being that it is the year 3027’ he
said.
The year 3027, it can’t be. She was 1000 years into the future. It wasn’t possible that 1000 years have gone by since she had died.
‘so let me get this clear? I am 1000 years in the future’ she said.
‘Yes let me explain resurrection was a myth perceived by 21st century man. Forms were sent out so that average people apart from the rich and famous could have the chance to come back to life. Many didn’t think resurrection would be possible, but in 2080 he figured out how to bring people back from the dead’. He said. He then carried on to explain further.
‘It is a simple procedure Cryogenics where the body is packed in ice and to the water's freezing point and the blood is removed and replaced with organ preservation solution.Your body was placed into a container which was lowered into a tank of liquid nitrogen kept at -196C. He said
She couldn’t believe it, she was in the future, 1000 years in the future. Then it became clear to her that all her family and people she knew were dead. 1000 years had gone by and this was what it was like to be alive after being dead.

‘so it’s really 1000 years that have gone by, where is everyone? What is the future like?’ 
she said.
‘there is no one left’ he said.
‘what do you mean no one is left you are here’ she said pointing at him.
‘I am not human’ he said,
She looked at him again, what did he mean that he wasn’t human. He looked human, but she had felt that there had been something odd about him, that he had no emotion and his eyes didn't blink continuously.
‘I am a cyborg’ he said.
‘a cyborg, what’s that?’ she said.
‘what you called a robot or machine in the 21st century’ he said.
‘but you look so real’ she said
‘yes I was created to look human and to function as a human being would’ he said.
So where are the human beings?’ she said.
‘There are no human beings on Earth’ he said.
No human beings on Earth she thought, she felt alone and no longer attraction for this robot who was talking to her. She wanted human contact. 
‘Where are they then?’ she said.
‘All human beings are on Mars and space shuttles build in the 30th Century, where man moved to’ he said.
She remembered in the news where some people had volunteered to go to Mars, but now from what he was telling her it was possible for people to live in outer space.
‘why have they left the Earth?’ she said.
‘Earth is not that habitable, it has lost its trees, food and also the weather was changing with more floods, winter and it grew more difficult to live on. Most animals became extinct and therefore human beings left to build their life elsewhere’ he said.
‘But how am I here?’ she said.
‘human beings created machines on Earth to clean up after they had left and to also create
it as a museum of what life had been. I have brought you back after finding your pod in one of the abandoned hospitals. I kept you here as this would be a familiar surrounding for you to adapt to after resurrection’ he said.

She could believe it, the realisation that man had finally destroyed Earth and had taken no responsibility for it and had created machines to clean up the mess. She felt disappointed and shocked. She had remembered talks about Global warming on the news and about extinction of animals but hadn’t taken it seriously. But neither had anyone else since humans had left the Earth to go to Mars.
‘What about me, when can I go to see other people’ she said.
‘That isn’t going to be possible, as I said Earth is a museum’ he said,
‘what do you mean?’ she said
‘I brought you back as a museum piece of the 21st Century for observation’ he said
‘you can’t be serious, I am a person and I want to go home’ she said.
‘I was asked to bring you back by my creators for that reason to observe and to keep you as a relic of the 21st Century. This hospital is also a piece as well as many other pieces on the Earth’ he said.
‘but what about others’, where are others who were resurrected surely I can’t be the only person here?’ she said.
‘others who were resurrected are also contained within specific places to observe as directed by human beings’ he said.
She couldn't believe it. She got up and found that she had the strength to walk and walked
towards the door to try and open it. but the door wouldn’t open. She pushed and pushed and tried to bash the door.
‘I told you this is a museum you a relic to be observed’ he said.
‘I demand to speak to someone, you can’t just bring me back from life and keep me here as a prisoner’ she said.
‘but you are heard and observed from Mars’ he said.
‘you mean I am being watched’ she said
‘Yes as I said I was told to place you in a familiar environment, this is abandoned hospital
and equipment was found that would you recognise. I was told to keep you comfortable
and to keep you here as part of the observation of 21st Century artifacts’ he said.

She could believe it; she was a museum piece kept here to be observed by man. Was this
how man had turned out in the future talking no responsibility of their actions and bringing
her back to life only to observe her?

The future had felt such an ideal and the desire to life beyond one’s own lifetime a wish. But now she realised that this wish was a curse and that man had destroyed the Earth and she was a prisoner for their observation.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Evil Step Mother’s Point of View - Cinderella

 ‘I hate you, you old bag’ she screamed as she threw the bowl across the room. I had made her favourite dish soup, which I had spent ages cooking in the kitchen. Her father had told me that it was going to be hard to be accepted as her new mother, but this was much harder than I had imaged. ‘Mum we have tried, I offered to give her my new dress’ said Gemma. ‘I said that I would take her to the ball with us’ said Louisa. ‘What can we do? She calls us UGLY sisters, it’s so cruel cried Pamela.    I hugged my three daughters closely, I wanted Cinderalla to accept us as we had with her. But she hated us, calling me a ‘wicked stepmother’ and slamming doors. She would cry and portray us as ogres. With the arrival of the Prince inviting us to go to the ball, I even tried to invite her but she was spoilt and rude. ‘I don’t want to go, you old bag, GET LOST’ she shouted. ‘I will get there myself’ she stormed off as usual to her room. ‘I miss my mum, you married my father for his

Private Property- No Trespassing

'Damn.... Where are we?' 'I thought you were looking at your map?' 'I was...But I can't work out where we are'. 'I was supposed to be home hours ago Jake, my parents will be worried' 'Michelle, calm down...now let me see'..... Jake and Michelle had decided to take the long way around after their date at the usual diner 'Kate's Burger Joint' where Jake had the king size burger with cheese and Michelle had the same thing as always nuggets with chips. They had only been dating for about six months, when Jake recommended he take Michelle through the woods to drop her home. 'Look it says Private Property up there. We are going to get in trouble Jake'. 'Don't be such a baby Michelle, lets go and have a look further down and see what there is'. 'But Jake, the sign, what if we get told off?' 'Michelle' he said as he grabbed her hand, they lumbered their way through the tall grass an

Letters of the Past

The letters in his hand were crisp, clean, and pure white and had the age of youth while Sebastian's hands were wrinkled, old and worn out. He smelt the perfume of the letters which were like flowers in the room showing down onto him. He rocked slowly as he held them and whispered 'Lillian' while Beatrice didn't budge and had gone to sleep purring away in his lap.  As the light glistened in the fireplace the colours were reflecting onto the walls of the living room like colours of the rainbow as he thought of Lillian and the past. It was at university where he had met her first, he was himself lost in the corridors, with his shirt half tucked into his trousers, tie askew and hair rough and looking at the board trying to find his class. He heard her voice, 'excuse me' and turned towards her. It was her golden hair that struck him. It shone in the corridor like a gem and it was long. She looked as though she were a mermaid emerging from the sea. He could feel